FORUM TROUBLE :: Cyrillic chars wrong when set to English

English-speaking vangers are welcome! Online games schedule, rules, FAQ, troubleshooting, etc.

Модератор: [W]DaRK ALeX

Ответить
bjoreman
Зеленка
Контактная информация:

FORUM TROUBLE :: Cyrillic chars wrong when set to English

Сообщение bjoreman » Вс июл 22, 2007 12:10 pm

I don't know if anything can be done about this, but I've had a problem and realized the cause so I thought I should post it in case anyone else is wondering about the same thing.

Short version: if you are an international user and pick English as your forum language (in your profile), phpBB serves all pages as ISO 8859-1 and cyrillic characters render as garbage unless you change your browser's settings.

Long version:
Anyway, the problem is/was this: all cyrillic characters in the forum show up as garbage characters to me. Actively setting my browser to interpret the forum as a Russian character set worked perfectly, but for a friend of mine it always worked right from the start. His browser picked the right character set all the time, every time. But not mine.

Today I edited my profile a bit, and realized the cause: I've selected to have the forum in English. That's good, since it enables me to read the menu options :-) ... However, phpBB apparantly sets the character code of the page according to your chosen language. Which means that once I picked English phpBB started setting the character code to ISO 8859-1 for all pages.

And boom!

Garbage characters instead of nice cyrillic ones.

[W]DaRK ALeX
Van-Warrior
Контактная информация:

Сообщение [W]DaRK ALeX » Вс июл 22, 2007 1:32 pm

I've checked it for myself. Really, codepage changes with the forum language and Cyrillic characters become undreadable.

This has to be fixed in source code, I think - there is no need in changing codepage at all since every browser now has full set of codepages and English characters are shown in any case.

:?: Zam? Klim? Could you help, please? :?:
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Ответить